Thursday, December 27, 2012

Mexico City!

Feliz Navidad from Mexico! We've been in Mexico for all of the Christmas break so far, and it has been wonderful. Last Thursday morning, we flew from Hermosillo (where Choco's family lives) to Mexico City for a little vacation with his family. They lived in Mexico City for nine or so years: Choco attended high school there, etc. It was exciting to see a new part of Mexico. All and all there were a lot: a lot of people, food, traffic, smells (good and bad), and fun. It really is a huge city. Huge.

I was humbled at the large amount of poverty. Amazed at the quantity of people. In awe at the beautiful, historic buildings and sites. And warmed by the kindness and happiness of people. I loved the returned smiles from everyone I saw. In my experience, the Mexican people are so warm and friendly and giving. What a blessing it is to experience this wonderful country, at least a couple parts of it. We did a lot in the four days we were there. Because I have my new camera, I took many pictures so I'll tell our stories through them.

Day 1: Thursday, December 20th
We arrived at the airport and took a taxi to our hotel. First impressions: so, so many cars. Crazy driving and traffic. And it was supposedly a "calm" time of day.
We stayed in a Hilton. It was a fancy, new, and beautiful hotel. We were on the 23rd floor, so had a great view of the city.
In the taxi on the way to our hotel





Spinach soup (actually was kind of gross)
My fist meal in Mexico City 

After eating, we wandered around the city a bit. We saw this beautiful, old hotel. It had an amazing ceiling and elevator.

Choco and Papa. I love this picture.
The elevator.

We went to the city square area. Saw an amazing cathedral and some Aztec ruins that were discovered underneath the city. 


Catedral 




Temple Mayor






Museum at the Temple Mayor













That night, we went to see Mary Poppins! I love musicals and was so excited to see this one. Although it was all in Spanish, I loved it. The actors were fabulous, music so fun, costumes and set colorful. It was "supercalifragilisticexpialidocioso!"




After the play, I was a very tired, but we headed to get tacos. Although tired, it ended up being really fun. There were Mariachi bands all over the place where we were. We had tacos de trompo (basically this huge cone of meat). It was yummy and loud, very loud, but fun. All and all, a fabulous first day in Mexico city.





Coming soon: Day 2.  



No comments:

Post a Comment